Second Marriage Without Consent

Question: My husband has secretly entered into a second marriage contract without my consent; can I bring any legal action against him?


Yes, you can! The law empowers an aggrieved wife to bring a complaint against her husband in the family court if he has entered into the second marriage contract without acquiring the consent of the Arbitration Council, which constitutes of the Union Council and the existing wife/wives representatives. The law is clear on the point that a Muslim man can only enter into a subsequent marriage if the Arbitration Council considers his proposition of second marriage to be necessary and just and grants him permission. Any new marriage contract that is entered with the willful disregard of the consent of the Arbitration Council is a breach of law and capable of punishment.